Skip to main content

Some Things Are Worth Fighting For



We were an unlikely duo from the start. She walks into a room and commands all the attention with her confident stride; I shyly walk into a room and quickly make a beeline for the most inconspicuous seat. She is tall and beautiful and turns every head; I am average and unimpressive and easily disappear in a crowd. She is smart, savvy, and climbing her way up the corporate ladder; I’m a stay at home mom with four kids trying to climb my way out of the piles of laundry that are constantly accumulating. For whatever reason, her Enneagram 7 energy just clicks with all of my Enneagram 9-ness.  

 

Grace strode into my life on a Wednesday evening several years ago. She was trying out a church community group that my family was a part of, and maybe it was that we were both from Oklahoma, or maybe I was just desperate for a friend in that season of life, but I did something highly out of character and invited her to grab coffee with me the next week. I ambushed her with a barrage of questions over lattes, and a friendship was quickly formed. For the past three years, Grace has been my soul sister, my best friend. We have been together through marital struggles, job loss, anxiety, health concerns, victories, overcoming fears, and accomplishments big and small. It has been wonderful, but it has not always been easy. 

 

As the mother of three young girls (with two of them being teens), I hear about friendship drama almost daily. Feelings are hurt, mean words are spoken, and one day that friend is in, the next day they are out! Maybe it’s that cancel culture is thriving right now, or maybe it’s the popular idea that if something doesn’t serve us, we should not hesitate to cut it out immediately, but it seems that people today don’t value relationships the way that my grandmother’s generation did. And yes, I’m sure it’s nothing new for young girls to fight and fuss over silly things, but even in my own life I see how easily people fade in and out. 

 

Maybe it’s that I’m getting older and I just crave stability in all things, but I think there’s something to be said for loyalty. I sat one of my girls down the other day who was dealing with friend struggles, and had an honest conversation about times that Grace had hurt my feelings, and times that I had upset her. Nobody in this world is perfect, and we will all inevitably mess up from time to time. And sometimes it is healthier to let a friendship crumble if the toxic energy is dragging you down. But I think it’s important to relay to our kids that relationships aren’t always fun and easy. They require work and dedication, and they challenge us to practice humility and empathy. Sure I could have closed the door the first time Grace did something that upset me, but I would have missed out on the opportunity to understand her in a deeper capacity, and the chance to expand my communication skills. And I would have missed out on morning walks around the lake, taco dinners, watching our kids grow up together, daily encouraging text messages, coffee dates, shopping trips, and countless heart to hearts…and isn’t all of that what makes life worth living. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building a Village

Four years ago, I embarked on a journey to unlock something inside of myself that felt buried under a pile of rubble. On a whim, I signed up for an online course designed to help me unearth the dreams I had locked inside of me. Optimistic but slightly skeptical, I plunged headfirst into a four-week dream scavenge. Many in the course had lofty dreams of writing a book or starting a small business. My goal, the thing I wanted most for myself, was to have friends. Sure, I had plenty of acquaintances. I interacted with wonderful people on a regular basis, but when it came to true vulnerability and allowing others to see who I really was at my core, I was locked up and that door was deadbolted. Going through that course and tackling my “dream” by coming up with real ways to build community in my life kickstarted some real changes for me and liberated a newfound confidence in me. I decided I’d create a book club and invited several people to join it, knowing full well that I lacked the leade

And the Award Goes to...

Today, in the midst of this glamourous awards season, I would like to accept the award for perseverance in the face of much adversity. As mothers we are constantly bombarded with challenges to overcome, hoops to jump through, and an array of emotions to sort through. And yet, we return to our calling with renewed vigor day after day, never abandoning our attempts to plumb the innermost emotions of these creatures we call our children.    Perseverance is defined as “the quality of continuing with something even though it is difficult.” Several months into the pandemic, I decided it would be a great idea to liven the house up with some plants. What better way to inspire than to fill the house with life and color?! I came home with some small plants in pots, as well as one of those seed starter trays, the very large ones- the 24-pack. Upon wandering the house, I realized there was nowhere to put these plants, and they found themselves plopped right down on the floor in our dining room. Wh

A Silver Lining

 There it lies on the top of my head, shining in the harsh lighting of my outdated bathroom: my first gray hair. It mocks me as I continue my gaze down the mirror reflection to the sunken, dark potholes that are supposed to be my eyes. I quickly grab the tube of concealer and dab some, ok a lot, under my eyes before I send a 9-1-1 text to my best friend.  “I just found my first gray hair [insert horror faced emoji]. And it’s right in the front! What do I do?”  “Girl, no worries on the grays. I got all the grays. Your blonde hides everything.”  “But if there’s this one, there’s got to be more...!”  I contemplate plucking it out but decide pulling out hairs when my hair is already thinning at a rapidly alarming rate is probably not the wisest course of action.  When did I get so…old ?                                                                                                                                                 ❁   ❁ ❁    My mom has warned me for years that age 40 is when