Skip to main content

Illuminate

My youngest sleeps with a little black lantern every single night. Part of the bedtime routine is finding the lantern, which inevitably gets lost in a sea of blankets and sheets through the twists and turns of the night. Once it’s been found, I turn the light on and she holds it close, ready to settle in for the night. Her whole face illuminated by the dim light of a cheap battery operated lantern, she smiles contentedly. “Snuggle with me, Mom. Lie here with me.” Fear subsides. Calm. 

 

There’s something so unsettling about darkness. I turned 40 this year, and then seemingly overnight everything started falling apart. My 18-year marriage hit a major snag. My anxiety decided to manifest into frequent panic attacks that would wreak havoc on my entire body. My oldest child started visiting college campuses and casually mentioning that he might be interested in joining the military, thus exacerbating the already out-of-control anxiety. After 18 years of being a stay at home mom, I decided it was finally time to enter the workforce, only to find that nobody was rushing to hire a 40-year-old mom with no work experience. And out of the blue, I started having sciatic nerve pain that lasted for weeks. Darkness crept in. Fear took over. 

 

I heard a story recently and I can’t remember where from or I’d totally give them credit, but I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it. It was a story of a man who had hit rock bottom. Feeling desperate, he goes to a spiritual retreat center where a spiritual leader immediately meets him. They spend hours walking the property, the man pouring out his soul and the darkness of his heart to this spiritual leader. Saying nothing the entire time, the spiritual leader just listens for hours. Their walk finally finished, the spiritual leader looks into the eyes of this beaten down man and simply says, “Me too.” 

 

Darkness feels overwhelming and lonely, the blackness of it suffocating and disquieting. It’s easy to let fear take over in those dark places, and fear keeps us quiet and alone. But all it takes is one sliver of light to illuminate the whole room. When we allow others to meet us in the darkest places of our lives, when we say “Lie here with me” and make space for connection, their “me too” pulls back the curtain to reveal that the scary thing isn’t insurmountable after all. Talking about anxiety with other people has taken away some of the power that it had on me, because it turns out that most people have experienced it. Vulnerability breeds connection. And connection is a little black lantern in a big, dark room. 

 



This post is part of a blog hop with Exhale—an online community of women pursuing creativity alongside motherhood, led by the writing team behind Coffee + Crumbs. Click here to view the next post in the series "Ordinary Inspiration".


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And the Award Goes to...

Today, in the midst of this glamourous awards season, I would like to accept the award for perseverance in the face of much adversity. As mothers we are constantly bombarded with challenges to overcome, hoops to jump through, and an array of emotions to sort through. And yet, we return to our calling with renewed vigor day after day, never abandoning our attempts to plumb the innermost emotions of these creatures we call our children.    Perseverance is defined as “the quality of continuing with something even though it is difficult.” Several months into the pandemic, I decided it would be a great idea to liven the house up with some plants. What better way to inspire than to fill the house with life and color?! I came home with some small plants in pots, as well as one of those seed starter trays, the very large ones- the 24-pack. Upon wandering the house, I realized there was nowhere to put these plants, and they found themselves plopped right down on the floor in our dining room. Wh

Building a Village

Four years ago, I embarked on a journey to unlock something inside of myself that felt buried under a pile of rubble. On a whim, I signed up for an online course designed to help me unearth the dreams I had locked inside of me. Optimistic but slightly skeptical, I plunged headfirst into a four-week dream scavenge. Many in the course had lofty dreams of writing a book or starting a small business. My goal, the thing I wanted most for myself, was to have friends. Sure, I had plenty of acquaintances. I interacted with wonderful people on a regular basis, but when it came to true vulnerability and allowing others to see who I really was at my core, I was locked up and that door was deadbolted. Going through that course and tackling my “dream” by coming up with real ways to build community in my life kickstarted some real changes for me and liberated a newfound confidence in me. I decided I’d create a book club and invited several people to join it, knowing full well that I lacked the leade

A Silver Lining

 There it lies on the top of my head, shining in the harsh lighting of my outdated bathroom: my first gray hair. It mocks me as I continue my gaze down the mirror reflection to the sunken, dark potholes that are supposed to be my eyes. I quickly grab the tube of concealer and dab some, ok a lot, under my eyes before I send a 9-1-1 text to my best friend.  “I just found my first gray hair [insert horror faced emoji]. And it’s right in the front! What do I do?”  “Girl, no worries on the grays. I got all the grays. Your blonde hides everything.”  “But if there’s this one, there’s got to be more...!”  I contemplate plucking it out but decide pulling out hairs when my hair is already thinning at a rapidly alarming rate is probably not the wisest course of action.  When did I get so…old ?                                                                                                                                                 ❁   ❁ ❁    My mom has warned me for years that age 40 is when