Skip to main content

Why I Had to Suddenly Switch My Daughter’s Occupational Therapist

Because one day after her injury we were talking with her surgeon in his office, and he casually threw out that I needed to start using a vibrator on her arm to break up the scar tissue. Because I couldn’t believe he so casually was talking about sex toys with me. Because my face turned the color of deep scarlet, and I had to nod and pretend like this was a totally normal thing to prescribe eight-year-old patients to do. Because I went out and got a small pink vibrator for this specific purpose. Because she was eight and loved all things princess and pink. Because we used it on her forearm every day in an attempt to break up the solid scar tissue, and I never once let on that it seemed like an odd part of the therapy routine. Because she grew to think it was fun as it seemed like a cool, pink toy that no one else could play with. Because I kept it hidden when we weren’t doing therapy exercises. Because heaven forbid a friend came over and she wanted to show them her new toy. Because can you imagine if everyone in the neighborhood started talking about my eight-year-old daughter and her vibrator? Because when we showed up to our next occupational therapy appointment the therapist had a very different looking “vibrator”. Because hers was obviously a medical device…and mine obviously was not! Because kids are so innocently naïve and before I could stop her, Aubrey was telling the therapist all about her vibrator. Because she so clearly described a sex toy to the therapist that it took all my inner strength to sit there expressionless through it all. Because I avoided all eye contact as her therapist said, “Wow, that sounds like a really cool one!” Because how could she not be full on judging me for this obvious misstep? Because someone really needed to inform that surgeon that vibrator infers something totally different than medical massager. Because I sat in the car after therapy and ordered a medical massager, which looks far more “medical” than a pink sex toy. Because I immediately threw away the vibrator and hoped she’d never ask about it. Because I was suddenly fearful that I had only further traumatized my child. Because now I know that medical massagers are what you are supposed to use to break up scar tissue. Because I knew I could never look her therapist in the eyes again without dying laughing. Because her new therapist swooped in and pushed her to fight for the use of her hand. Because he saved her hand in a lot of ways. Because at a time that God seemed to be in hiding, He was there after all, orchestrating things in His clever way. 






This post is part of a blog hop with Exhale—an online community of women pursuing creativity alongside motherhood, led by the writing team behind Coffee + Crumbs. Click here to view the next post in the series "A Question".






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building a Village

Four years ago, I embarked on a journey to unlock something inside of myself that felt buried under a pile of rubble. On a whim, I signed up for an online course designed to help me unearth the dreams I had locked inside of me. Optimistic but slightly skeptical, I plunged headfirst into a four-week dream scavenge. Many in the course had lofty dreams of writing a book or starting a small business. My goal, the thing I wanted most for myself, was to have friends. Sure, I had plenty of acquaintances. I interacted with wonderful people on a regular basis, but when it came to true vulnerability and allowing others to see who I really was at my core, I was locked up and that door was deadbolted. Going through that course and tackling my “dream” by coming up with real ways to build community in my life kickstarted some real changes for me and liberated a newfound confidence in me. I decided I’d create a book club and invited several people to join it, knowing full well that I lacked the leade

And the Award Goes to...

Today, in the midst of this glamourous awards season, I would like to accept the award for perseverance in the face of much adversity. As mothers we are constantly bombarded with challenges to overcome, hoops to jump through, and an array of emotions to sort through. And yet, we return to our calling with renewed vigor day after day, never abandoning our attempts to plumb the innermost emotions of these creatures we call our children.    Perseverance is defined as “the quality of continuing with something even though it is difficult.” Several months into the pandemic, I decided it would be a great idea to liven the house up with some plants. What better way to inspire than to fill the house with life and color?! I came home with some small plants in pots, as well as one of those seed starter trays, the very large ones- the 24-pack. Upon wandering the house, I realized there was nowhere to put these plants, and they found themselves plopped right down on the floor in our dining room. Wh

A Silver Lining

 There it lies on the top of my head, shining in the harsh lighting of my outdated bathroom: my first gray hair. It mocks me as I continue my gaze down the mirror reflection to the sunken, dark potholes that are supposed to be my eyes. I quickly grab the tube of concealer and dab some, ok a lot, under my eyes before I send a 9-1-1 text to my best friend.  “I just found my first gray hair [insert horror faced emoji]. And it’s right in the front! What do I do?”  “Girl, no worries on the grays. I got all the grays. Your blonde hides everything.”  “But if there’s this one, there’s got to be more...!”  I contemplate plucking it out but decide pulling out hairs when my hair is already thinning at a rapidly alarming rate is probably not the wisest course of action.  When did I get so…old ?                                                                                                                                                 ❁   ❁ ❁    My mom has warned me for years that age 40 is when